Eviction Process

The Civil Bureau consists of deputies who specialize in the service and execution of Civil Processes in Union County. The Bureau is supervised by a Lieutenant and a Sergeant.
Civil Processes are issued by the court and include, but are not limited to Evictions, Summonses, Domestic Violence Protective Orders, Juvenile documents and various Writs.
In addition to these responsibilities, the Civil Officers perform other functions such as needed, such as answering calls for service, special details and dignitary escorts. 

Check Civil Process Status

How to Apply for an Eviction

Landlords who have renters who refuse to pay rent on time or move out of a residence in a timely manner have a number of options under NC law. The first option is to communicate with your renters in person or by registered mail and if they still fail to pay, they can be requested to move out by a designated date and time. If they honor this request and return your keys, you may then assume possession of the property at that time. This is obviously the easiest and best case scenario. If the renters refuse to move out, then legal action is the next recourse. Under this second option, the landlord must go the Union County Clerk of Superior Court’s Office at the Judicial Center (Court House) in Monroe and file paperwork for a civil court action to have the tenants evicted. There are two parts to this process. Part one will be to file for a Summary Ejectment claim due to money being owed to the landlord by the renter. There will be a hearing date set before a judge to hear that complaint once the renters have been served the Summary Ejectment along with the complaint filed by the landlord. After that hearing date is completed and the Judge rules in the landlord’s favor, the Judge will announce that the defendant/renter will have to be out in ten days. If the renters still refuse to move out, part two of the process is where the landlord returns to the Clerk of Courts Office and files for a Writ of Possession (Eviction) to be done. The Writ of Possession is the eviction. Once the eviction process has been filed the Clerk of Court will send that process to the Union County Sheriff's Office and a date will be set for the eviction. This date will be seven days from the date the Sheriff’s Office receives the Writ of Possession (Eviction). Once the date is set the landlord will be notified by letter of the date and time that the landlord or their representative will need to be there to change the locks on the house. On the date of the eviction the landlord or their representative will have to wait for the arrival of the deputies and the deputies will execute the eviction at the set time or after and then the landlord or their representative will be allowed to enter the residence and change the locks. The tenants/renter will also be notified by letter that they will need to be out by the set date and time and if they are not when the deputies arrive to serve the eviction, the deputies will remove them at that time. If you have any further question please call the Union County Sheriff’s Office.